Spicy Baked Hake is a delicious and healthy seafood dish that marries the mild, flaky nature of hake with a burst of flavourful spices. This recipe combines the health benefits of fish with a zesty kick that makes it a satisfying meal. Whether you’re a seafood enthusiast or looking to incorporate more fish into your diet. This dish offers a delightful way to do so. With just a few simple steps, you can prepare a mouthwatering and nutritious meal that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner or a special occasion.
Spicy Baked Hake Recipe
- 4 hake fillets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper adjust to your spice preference
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 lemon sliced
- Fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish optional
- Preheat your oven to 190°C and grease a baking dish with a bit of olive oil or cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, dried thyme, salt, and black pepper. Mix well to create a spice rub.
- Place the hake fillets in the prepared baking dish.
- Drizzle the spice and rub evenly over the hake fillets, making sure to coat both sides. Use your hands to massage the rub into the fish for better flavour penetration.
- Arrange lemon slices on top of the hake fillets.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminium foil or a lid.
- Bake the hake in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until the fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. The cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of your fillets, so keep an eye on them to avoid overcooking.
- Once the hake is cooked, remove it from the oven and garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro, if desired.
- Serve your spicy baked hake with your choice of sides, such as steamed vegetables, rice, or a simple salad.
Here are some nutrition points for Spicy Baked Hake
- Hake: Hake is a low-calorie, lean source of protein. It’s rich in essential nutrients like vitamin B12, selenium, and iodine. Consuming hake can support healthy muscle function, boost your metabolism, and aid in maintaining a healthy thyroid.
- Olive Oil: The olive oil used in this recipe provides heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. It’s also a source of vitamin E and antioxidants, which can help reduce inflammation and lower the risk of chronic diseases.
- Spices (Paprika, Cayenne, Garlic, Onion, Oregano, Thyme): The spices not only add flavour but also bring potential health benefits. For example, garlic may have immune-boosting properties, while cayenne pepper may help with metabolism and appetite control. These spices are also low in calories and can add depth to your dish without adding unhealthy fats or sugars.
- Lemon: Lemon slices not only enhance the flavour of the hake but also provide a good dose of vitamin C. Vitamin C is known for its antioxidant properties, which can support your immune system and skin health.
- Fresh Herbs (Parsley or Cilantro): Fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro can add a burst of freshness and colour to your dish. They are low in calories and provide vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin K and vitamin A.
- Serving Suggestions: Pair your Spicy Baked Hake with nutritious sides like steamed vegetables (e.g., broccoli, asparagus, or green beans) and brown rice for a well-rounded meal. These sides add fibre, vitamins, and minerals to your plate.
Remember that the nutritional values can vary depending on portion sizes and specific ingredients used. But overall, Spicy Baked Hake is a wholesome choice that offers a balance of protein, healthy fats, and essential nutrients. Enjoy this dish as part of a balanced diet for a tasty and nutritious dining experience.