Horology, often mistaken for something unsavoury, is, in fact, the exquisite art of watchmaking. Few individuals understand the intricate mechanisms that power watches better than Phil Duffell, the esteemed manager of Cellini Jewelers, nestled in New York’s iconic Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. Here, we delve into Phil’s favourite watch features, highlighting the importance of these elements that enhance both function and style.
Tachymeter: Measuring Speed and Elegance
- A Tachymeter scale, discreetly etched around the watch’s rim, serves as a versatile tool to gauge speed. It can measure not only your pace but also that of objects you observe.
- A quality timepiece isn’t just about telling time; it’s a reflection of a person’s taste and sophistication.
Chronograph: Precision Timing at Your Fingertips
- The inclusion of a chronograph feature indicates it boasts a built-in 12-hour stopwatch.
- This complication is not just functional but also adds an element of elegance and precision to your timepiece.
Display Back: A Glimpse into Mechanical Beauty
- The transparent crystal on the case back provides a captivating view of the watch’s intricate internal mechanisms.
- While it may not serve a practical purpose, it significantly elevates the watch’s cool factor, allowing you to appreciate the artistry within.
Slide Rule: Analog Computing on Your Wrist
- Some are equipped with a slide rule, an analog calculator, integrated into the watch face. This feature enables you to perform quick calculations, including multiplication, division, and metric conversions.
- It’s a functional addition that can be invaluable in certain situations, showcasing the watch’s versatility.
READ MORE: 10 Best Sustainable Watches To Wear In 2023
Dual Time Zone: Perfect for the Globetrotter
- For the discerning business traveller or international jetsetter, a watch with a dual time zone feature is indispensable.
- The second time zone is elegantly displayed in a smaller window, allowing you to effortlessly keep track of time in different parts of the world.